Shellington is the Octopod's marine biologist who speaks with a Scottish accent. He loves doing field research and working in his lab. He is easily distracted by rare plants and animals and often gets into trouble because of this, but his knowledge is very beneficial in missions. He is very studious about marine life and is passionate for studying the subjects in his lab.
Though he may be knowledgeable about marine life, Shellington is a terrible driver as he has crashed the Gup-D at least three times, and the Gup-E at least once. When out on missions, he's typically sitting in the rear or in the passenger seat. However, he is portrayed as a decent driver in a few episodes, particularly when he mobilizes the Gup-C, contradicting his reckless driving in other episodes. Kwazii has attempted to give him a driving lesson, but it hasn't worked out as seen in "Operation Cooperation."
Some of his talents include playing the harp, playing the piano, golfing, drawing (in the books), sleeping during missions, crashing the Gups, identifying different creatures, and being humorous.
Just like Tweak, Professor Inkling, and the Vegimals, Shellington appears to sleep where he works, so his room doubles as the ship's lab. The shelves are filled with many different samples that he has collected while out on missions. This is where he is usually found, viewing samples through his microscope. When not in his room, he is also found in his seat up in the HQ where he assists Dashi with the ship's computers. He is usually with Dashi during missions.
Shellington has an older sister named Pearl and a little nephew named Periwinkle. He's also allergic to red sea urchins - a delicacy for sea otters, which is one reason why he is a member of the Octonauts.
His fur is brown, with three tufts of spiky fur hanging down over his forehead, and a sand-colored face. He's normally seen wearing a waterproof satchel and wears a pair of blue boots and a blue hat with the Octonauts' logo on it. He's often seen holding his favorite magnifying glass as well. Of all the Octonauts, he is the only one, other than Peso, who has a mouth that doesn't have a peanut-shaped muzzle. His pajama outfit includes green plaid slippers and a striped green nightcap with a fluffy pom-pom on the end.
- Deep Sea Suit
- Golf Outfit (Books only)
- Labcoat (Books only)
- Pajamas (Green and Yellow Striped Night Cap and Slippers)
- Snow Suit
- Cave diving suit with brilliant emerald green patterns (Season 6 - Above and Beyond)
Shellington is found in the Lab, the Garden, or the Launch Bay for the Octo-Alert. In some episodes, he is seen in the kitchen, with Tunip. In a few others, he is seen either sliding down an Octo-Chute or running through the hallway.
- "Jumping Jellyfish!"
- "Jumping Jellyfish! Oh, I mean Jumping Comb Jelly!" (The Giant Jelly)
- "Look at this!"
- "Of course!"
- "Of course! I should have known!"
- "This isn't a stingray. It's a Gup." (The Hammerhead Sharks)
- "Don't look down. Don't look down." (The Pelicans)
- "Octonauts, to the Jelly Bay!" (The Immortal Jellyfish)
- "Good thinking!"
- "Thank you Captain. Octonauts, let's do this! (Runs the wrong way into a wall) Oof! Oh." (The Immortal Jellyfish)
- "Right away!"
- "Nothing like sleeping under the stars sea otter style." (The Urchin Invasion)
- "I must investigate further." (The Remipedes)
- "Jumping immortal jellyfish!" (The Immortal Jellyfish)
- "Don't worry, I'll get to the tooth, I mean, truth!" (The Cookiecutter Sharks)
- "You're a remipede." (The Remipedes)
- Captain, Kwazii, Peso, What are you do..... What am I......oh! (The Hippos)
- "Right, I'll need my nightcap, oh, I mean my notecap, oh I mean my notebook." (The Immortal Jellyfish)
- "Shellington out! Out, out of the way!" (The Immortal Jellyfish)
- "How does he know I'm an octonaut?" (The Ring of Fire)
If you want to see more pictures of Shellington, see Shellington Sea Otter/Gallery.
- Shellington seems to fall asleep as he researches day and night at the lab. It was confirmed in Octonauts and The Crab and Urchin, Octonauts and the Hippos, as well as the Octonauts and the Jellyfish Bloom.
- However he does have a pop up bed as seen in The Octonauts Movie: The Ring of Fire.
- Shellington also has a preference for kelp cakes and clam sandwiches. (Octonauts and the Jellyfish Bloom)
- He likes to top his kelp cakes with hot sauce, however, too much upsets his stomach. (Octonauts and the Bowhead Whales)
- Shellington’s favourite kelp cake is Watermelon.
- Shellington seems to get easily distracted and is one of the worst drivers on the Octopod. (Octonauts and The Remipedes)
- In the books Shellington admits he is the only Sea Otter that wears underwear (his having a green pine tree pattern throughout).
- Shellington’s hobbies throughout the books include: Drinking tea, polishing his clam collection, playing Table Tennis (not very well), discovering/studying new creatures, looking at things with his magnifying glass, playing Miniature Golf, riding the playground’s see-saw, modelling his swimsuit, researching on the computers, journaling his studies, sleeping alongside the Vegimals, and digging for fossils. Majority of these are exclusive to the books.
- Instruments Shellington’s played include the Harp, which only shows up in The Frown Fish book.
- Shellington is allergic to Red Urchins.
- Shellington is scared of heights, as seen in The Octonauts and The Pelicans.
- Shellington is very keen on reading and reads his books almost always and everywhere - even at the wheel of the Gup! That's part of what causes him to crash the Gups.
- He can (usually) understand the Vegimals.
- He often forgets to mention additional facts to the crew about sea creature's defenses until it happens e.g. Octonauts and the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa.
- Shellington should be able to hold his breath underwater for at least 5 minutes. Despite this, he wears a helmet like the other Octonauts.
- Shellington is one of only two main Octonauts to share a voice actor with another. The other is Professor Inkling.
- In The Immortal Jellyfish, Shellington starts to become clumsy when he heard about the Immortal Jellyfish. So he started to mess up with the things he needs to bring, and even the Octo-Alert, accidentally saying "Jelly Bay" instead of the Launch Bay.
- Tunip has nicknamed him "Shellydo".
- He is the only other character besides Dashi to hold Dashi's camera seen in The Beluga Whales.
- Shellington is the one who discovered the Vegimals species after finding the eggs at the side of the Octopod and taking them in to keep safe and to study them. He wrote a journal about the Vegimals after they hatched, studying their language and behaviour and writing it down.
- Garden Eels
- Baby Snails
- Platypus Family
- The Piranhas (The Amazon Adventure)
- Emperor Penguins (Season 4)
- Mervyn the Microbe
- The Hippos
- Sea Spiders (Season 5)
- The Omura's Whale (The Ring of Fire)
- Pearl the Sea Otter (Older Sister)